About Confucius Institute
Welcome to Confucius Institute!
The Confucius Institute at PSU promotes educational exchange and cooperation between the US and the People’s Republic of China. The China National Office for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (HanBan) and PSU’s Office of International Affairs jointly established the Confucius Institute as a non-degree granting entity in 2007. Hanban provides a library materials grant and resources for hosting a visiting faculty member from Soochow University in Suzhou, PSU’s sister school in SW China. Hanban also provides support for community outreach and development of non-degree programs related to China and Chinese language studies.
- Events/outreach with other civic organizations
- Guest speakers
- Lecture series and Chinese Language Corner
- Chinese Speech Contest
- Chinese Calligraphy Competition Work sheet
- Guide for Study in China Cities
CI’s outreach services:
Teacher Training ProgramsShort-term programs for primary and secondary teachers for integration with local schools, colleges, and universities. Programs provide:
- Advice/support for teachers of Chinese language and area studies
- Chinese language teaching materials for students and teachers in the greater Portland area
- Annual Summer K-12 Chinese Language Teacher Training Program
- Chinese Language Conference at PSU, topics vary by year
PSU ProgramsChinese studies and Chinese language programs at PSU including:
- Short-term courses for travel, business, and tourism
- Non-credit language classes
- Hosting the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) Chinese Language Proficiency Test
- Developing curricula for study abroad programs in China, in cooperation with OIA and PSU’s Education Office
- Facilitate Summer Camp program in China for High School students from Oregon and SW Washington.