SBA China-Vietnam: Business in Asia
Travel Dates: June 23 – July 6, 2013
It is extremely difficult to succeed in business in East Asia today without experiencing the differences in business climate, regulatory environment, infrastructure, and cultures. This trip will provide students with a unique opportunity to experience Vietnamese and Chinese business culture first-hand and learn some of the nuances of doing business in this increasingly vital part of the world. This two-week program offers eight graduate credits which consists of two 4-credit courses in PSU’s School of Business Administration (SBA). In Vietnam and China, participants will attend classes taught by PSU graduate faculty and supplement the coursework with visits to various firms with presentations by company representatives and site tours of factories, offices etc. Participants will also meet with various government and educational leaders. Finally, participants will have the opportunity to visit some important cultural and social sites in the two countries including the Mekong Delta and Shanghai’s cultural heritage either as part of the program or on their own. The students will be required to do reading before the trip and during, as well as research work following the program.
- ISQA 510: Supply Chain Management in Asia – 4 Credits
- MGMT 510: Business Development in Asia – 4 Credits
|Program Fees||Tuition/Instructor Costs||Additional Estimated Costs||Total Estimated Costs|
|$4,080 – 4,285||$490 – 816||est. $3,185||est. $7,755 – 8,286|
|(depending on enrollment)||(depending on enrollment)||~||(depending on enrollment)|
- Pre-departure orientation/class meeting at PSU prior to departure – Spring Qrtr. May 18, 2013
- International Component: June 23 – July 6, 2013
- June 23 – Depart Portland for Ho Chi Minh City [HCM], arrange on own
- June 24-29 – In Ho Chi Minh City focusing on Supply Chain Management in Vietnam
- June 30—July 5 – In Shanghai focusing on Business Development in Vietnam
- July 6 – Depart Shanghai to Portland or travel on own arrange return flight on own
Daily activities throughout program generally include lectures (usually in the morning) and field trips to local businesses or factories (usually in the afternoon). Students will be free in the evenings and are expected to get dinner on their own.
Relevant Academic Disciplines
- Minimum GPA – 3.0
- Open to SBA Graduate students only
- SBA Acceptance Policy:
- Applicants are further along in their programs will be given priority.
- The order in which applications are completed and received will be taken into consideration if the program is nearing its capacity. PLEASE APPLY EARLY.
Language Skill: None