Global Cities: Vietnam
Dates: March 21 – 30, 2013
Faculty: Dr. Lawrence Wheeler
Courses: HON 407
This 10 day international short course will introduce students to the changing global city in Vietnam. We will look at development, sustainability, urban history, architecture and planning. The activities we will undertake include tours of Ho Chi Minh City to study both the old and new parts of the city. We will also take a one-day tour of the Mekong River delta (the so-called “rice bowl of Vietnam”), with its lush growth, floating markets and rural life. The heart of our experience will be in Binh Duong Province, where Becamex IDC has been fundamental in the construction of a major industrial park, a new city, and a new university. Faculty in planning and community development from Eastern International University, as well as representatives of Becamex Corporation will work with us for four days examining the extraordinary project of planning for and building a new city, industry and university in a largely rural province.
HON 407 – Global Cities: Vietnam – 4 cr.
- Orientation and pre-departure course meetings: Feb 16, 2013 (other meetings may be scheduled).
- The international component runs: March 21 – 30, 2013.
- Please renew or apply for your passport now! [Unless your passport does not expire before Sept 9, 2013].
Eastern International University in Binh Duong
Relevant Academic Disciplines
- Open to seniors, juniors, sophomores of any major. Freshman that are Honors students are eligible to apply.
- GPA 3.0 or above.
- Preference given to PSU honors program students; however, students from most majors and disciplines will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- Graduate students not eligible to apply.
- Non-Honors students pay $50 application fee. Application fee waived for Honors students.
- Non-Honors students must complete a pre-acceptance interview with the Education Abroad Advisor, Jennifer Hamlow. Interview waived for Honors students.
- The order in which (completed) applications are received will be considered in acceptances.
Language Skill: None