Extended International Travel (30+ Days)
Scholars who will travel outside of the U.S. for extended periods of time (more than 30 days) should consult with a scholar adviser at ISSS. Individual situations will vary, but each must be approved and recorded in the scholar’s SEVIS record to facilitate travel.
Typical situations for extended travel:
- Research field work
- Return to home institution to conduct a component of the research being done at PSU
- Use of specialized research equipment located in another country
- Other travel as required by the scholar’s program objectives
During extended travel, scholars must meet all requirements for their J-1 status, including:
- Continue active engagement with the original program objective (scholars may not discontinue or “pause” their PSU research to pursue other, separate work during the travel)
- Continue to be in regular contact with PSU host faculty and department
- Report address or itinerary while abroad
- Maintain health insurance
Since each case is different, any scholar planning to travel for an extended period should consult a scholar adviser at ISSS.